Saturday, February 25, 2017

Rolex 6605 Datejust from 1959

After World-war 2 Rolex created the first self-winding waterproof chronometer wristwatch that featured a date indication. For the first 10 years of production the date, shown at the 3 o’clock position, was not yet enhanced by the well-known ‘Cyclop lens’. This lens was introduced in 1955 and magnified the date by 2.5 times. 

This is a Rolex 6605 from the second quarter 1959 with the Cyclop len in white gold bezel and steel. I did not have the intention to buy at first when I visited my regular shop but my regular vintage watch shop owner Manoop insisted that I get this as it's the early version of the Datejust. I didn't recognize it at first until I saw the daphane hands with the pie pan dial. The movement is in good condition and the overall case is nice. The white gold bezel has smaller groves compared to the later Ref 1601. Given the escalating prices of the sports model, the Datejust seems like a good investment as prices continues to climb for these as well. 

I am starting to build up my vintage Datejust collection consisting of Pink gold bezel & steel 1601, and yellow gold bezel and steel 1601. This white gold bezel and steel 6601 will fit in nicely with the collection theme.




No comments:

Problem with signing in

I am facing issues with saving my blog with photos and I cannot seemed to log on using  my ipad. Perhaps, the days have pme to end the blog....