Tuesday, May 06, 2014

WWW Military Jaeger Lecoultre cal 479 British Military watch (The dirty dozen)

This is my 3rd attempt to seriously collect vintage military watches. With the encouragement from my friend Bryan, I have started to collect military watches again. My current collection only consists of the 1950s Breguet type XX made for the French Pilot, 1960s Breguet type XX, 1940s Longines made for the Czech Pilot. Being a history and political science student before, I am always interested in the military related subjects,

At the end of WWII when the British War Department published new requirements for an armed forces wristwatch. Twelve companies (Buren, Cyma, Eterna, Grana, IWC, Jaeger LeCoultre, Lemania, Longines, Omega, Record, Timor, Vertex) responded with conforming designs for what are commonly called WWWs (watch(es), wristlet, waterproof) or Mark X.

From the internet, amomg the requirements were matte black dials with luminous hands, numbers and indicies, subsidiary seconds, shatter-resistant plastic crystal, a case resistant to water, dust and shock, and a high-quality, isochronal and robust movement. 

While the superficial distinctions amongst the twelve manufacturers' offerings are relatively minor (cases of stainless steel, nickel alloy, chromed and matted base, with diameters ranging from 33-38mm, and dial variations), each also supplied their own movements, then all of prorietary design. The most famous Mark Xs are of course those of the 2 companies with the longest military-supply traditon, IWC and Omega, featuring respectively their Caliber 83 and 30T2 movements. 

This is my second Jaeger-LeCoultre military watch using the Caliber 479 which I have found in very good condition. My first one was sold as I couldn't find the direction to collect. From the net,  the population of both military and standard watches housing Cal. 83 and 30T2 movements probably runs into the millions, that of the Caliber 479 is likely closer to 10000.


The dirty dozen list and the estimated prices in £ depending on conditions:

Buren 200-400

Cyma 200-400

Eterna 400-700

Grana 1,800-2,500

IWC 1,400-2,500

JLC 800-1,500

Lemania 400-600

Longines 1,000-1,500

Omega 500-800

Record 150-300

Timor 200-350

Vertex 250-350





No comments:

Problem with signing in

I am facing issues with saving my blog with photos and I cannot seemed to log on using  my ipad. Perhaps, the days have pme to end the blog....