Saturday, January 09, 2016

Movado calendomatic

In my efforts to reduce the now of watches, I have traded some Swiss watches for this Movado. Movado watch was created in La Chaux de Fonds in 1881, and became Movado in 1906.

The word Movado is Esperanto for "always moving". The watch dates from the early 1950s. This was a beloved mid-level complication during that period, as the additions to the basis calibre are relatively modest to achieve the weekday, month and date complications, yet earned significantly more money for the maker and the retailer. These kinds of watches were aimed at the mid-level consumer, someone who was willing to pay extra for a modest complication as long as it served a purpose, and having a watch that told you the day of the week and the month, as well as the day of the month remains important today, as virtually any electronic watch does that as a matter of course.

Movado is jointly responsible with Zenith for creating the "El Primero" caliber ca 1969. El Primero is the Zenith name, the Movado was called "Datachron", soon shortened to "Datron".
All calibers were made in-house 'til the late 60s when they merged with Zenith.

I used to own such complications watch with Election watch but has sold them many years ago.... Somehow, I am trying to collect back watches that I misses...



1 comment:

Blogger said...

Purchase your authentic brand watch with a BIG discount on AuthenticWatches.

Problem with signing in

I am facing issues with saving my blog with photos and I cannot seemed to log on using  my ipad. Perhaps, the days have pme to end the blog....